Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The First Shots Fired at Fort Sumter

The nation's Civil War Sesquicentennial celebration started with a bang or more correctly a mortar firing this morning.  I've added links to several You-tube videos that captured the moment to the web page Fort Sumter, SC I

I made my annual pilgrimage to the local post office to mail my taxes.  I only hope that some small portion goes to preserving our national parks, monuments, and battlefields.  As I was leaving, I asked if there were any stamps commemorating the Sesquicentennial.  To my delight, the postal service has issued two stamps honoring the major battles at Fort Sumter and First Bull Run.  Information on the new issues can be found at 2011 Stamp Program Debuts and  Ft. Sumter National Park to host First-Day-of-Issue Ceremony for 1861 Civil War Sesquicentennial stamps.  The postmistress sold me the twelve-stamp package and told me that she was related to General Robert E. Lee.  I plan to keep my stamps safe and sound.

No comments: