Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Why I Vote

Fort Barrancas, FL
As Election Day approaches I remind myself of my obligation as an American to cast my vote.  I consider it a privilege to be able to help the men and women who will lead our nation.  However, I choose to vote not to put people in office who will support policies that will benefit me, but to honor those who have sacrificed to allow me the opportunity to vote.

Over 1.3 million Americans have died in defending this country.  In our bloodiest conflict, the American Civil War, nearly 750,000 soldiers and civilians died in defense of what they believed in.  Some 437,412 died to preserve the Union and to extend the rights enjoyed by some Americans to all Americans.

Since that terrible national tragedy,  166,516 in World War I, 405,399 in World War II,  58,209 in Vietnam, 36,516 in Korea, and around 13,000 in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the war on terror.  As those of us who have benefited from their sacrifice, we owe them a debt of honor. 

Naval Air Museum
Pensacola, FL
I hope that you will honor these people who have given their lives for our right to vote by casting your ballot.  Remember when you press the button or pull the lever that your are thanking these valiant souls for granting you permission to do so.

Let us recall Lincoln's words from the Gettysburg Address and ensure "that these dead shall not have died in vain" and show our respect for those who have given "the last full measure of devotion" by casting our vote on Election Day.


Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
During Hurricane Sandy

No comments: