The objectives of the battle were control of the Indian Territory and the Union-controlled Fort Gibson. Fort Gibson was located where the Texas Road crossed the Arkansas River. The army that controlled the fort commanded the territory north of the Canadian River.
In July 1863 Confederate forces under General Douglas H. Cooper assembled at the small supply depot along the Texas Road called Honey Springs. When Union General James G. Blunt learned that Rebel troops had gathered at the depot, he led his men out of the fort toward to the depot thirty miles to the southwest. The Confederate forces were composed of 6,000 men from the Texas Brigade (20th and 29th Texas Cavalries and 5th Texas Partisan Rangers) under Colonel Bass and the Indian Brigade (1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles, 2nd Cherokee Mounted Rifles, 1st Choctaw-Chickasaw Mounted Rifles, and the 1st and 2nd Creek). The Federal forces contained 3,000 men from the 1st Brigade (Colonel William R. Judson) and 2nd Brigade (Colonel William A. Phillips). The Union forces included the First Kansas Colored Troops.
For the next two hours, the troops fought in hand-to-hand combat along the creek bed. Neither side gained an advantage until the First Kansas advanced in an attempt to capture the Confederate artillery.
The battle became a running fight as the Federals drove the Rebel troops a mile and a half south to the edge of the Honey Springs depot.
(Source: Honey Springs Battlefield)
Please see Honey Springs, OK 150th Reenactment for more pictures of the re-enactment.