Thursday, January 26, 2017

Texans at West Point

After Texas joined the United States, three Texans received appointments before the start of the Civil War. 

James B. McIntyre - Cullum Number: 1627 - Class Rank: 49 

He graduated 49th in his class and the Army promoted him to brevet second lieutenant of infantry on July 1, 1853. 

The Army assigned him to duty on the frontier at Ft. Brown, Texas (1853-1854) and Ft. Belknap, Texas (1854-1855). 

On March 3, 1855, the Army promoted McIntyre to second lieutenant, First Cavalry. He was a member of the Sioux Expedition (1855) and at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (1855-1856). 

The Army promoted him to first lieutenant, First Cavalry on January 16, 1857. 

Ft. Kearny, Nebraska
The First Cavalry rode to Ft. Kearny, Nebraska in 1856. At Ft. Kearny, the First performed scouting duty (1856) against the Cheyenne Indians and fought a skirmish near the fort on August 26, 1856. The Army sent him to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (1856-1857) where his unit participated in Cheyenne Expedition (1857), engaged the Cheyenne in the action on Solomon's Fork of the Kansas on July 29, 1857, and fought the Kiowa and Comanche Indians in a skirmish near Grand Saline, Kansas on August 6, 1857. He served at Ft. Riley, Kansas (1857-1858), Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (1858), Ft. Riley, Kansas (1859-1860), and Ft. Wise, Colorado (1860). While assigned to these posts, he participated in the Utah Expedition (1858), the march to the Arkansas River (1859), and the Kiowa and Comanche Expedition (1860). He was Quartermaster of the First Cavalry from April 15, 1858 to April 30, 1860. He received a leave of absence from April 1860 until May 1861. 
American Frontier Forts
When the Civil War began, McIntyre honored his commitment to the Union Army. On his return to active duty, the Army promoted him captain in the First Cavalry on May 3, 1861. On August 3, 1861, McIntyre transferred to the Fourth US Cavalry. McIntyre's initial assignment during the Civil War was in the Defence of Washington, DC September 22, 1861 to March 1862. He commanded a Squadron of the Escort of Major General McClellan of the Army of the Potomac in the Virginia Peninsular Campaign (March-August 1862) and in the Maryland Campaign (September-November 1862). He was on detached service at Washington, DC from December 1862 to March 1863. McIntyre commanded a company in Union operations in Tennessee and Alabama (March-June 1863) which fought in cavalry action at Franklin, Tennessee on May 10, 1863. He received a brevet promotion to major on May 10, 1863 for gallant and meritorious services in the cavalry action at Franklin, Tennessee. He directed a regiment (June-December 1863) that saw action near Chickamauga, Georgia on September 25, 1863 and fought the enemy in numerous skirmishes. The Army promoted him to lieutenant colonel for gallant and meritorious services in the action near Chickamauga, Georgia. 

He was on a leave of absence from December 24, 1863 to February 1864. The Army placed McIntyre in command of the cavalry regiment from March to November 17, 1864. He led the regiment on its march from Nashville, Tennessee to join the Army of the Cumberland in the invasion of Georgia. He was in charge of the unit in the cavalry operations of the campaign. After the regiment returned to Nashville, Tennessee, the Army granted him a leave of absence from November 17, 1864 to January 1865. Following his leave, he was in command of the regiment at their camp at Gravelly Springs, Alabama (January -March 1865). He was on recruiting service at Baltimore, Maryland from March 1, l865 to January 5, 1866. 

After the war, McIntyre commanded posts at Ft. Brown, Texas (May 1866- January 1867) and Ft. Larned, Kansas (January-May 1867). He received a promotion to major, Third Cavalry on July 28, 1866 at Ft. Larned. He died on May 10, 1867 at Ft. Larned, Kansas at the age of 34.

For more information on McIntyre, please see Fiddler's Green: James B. McIntyre, 

Horace Randal - Cullum Number: 1675 - Class Rank: 45 

Randal was a cadet at the US Military Academy from July 1, 1849, to July 1, 1854.He graduated 45th in his class and the Army promoted him to brevet second lieutenant of infantry on July 1, 1854. 

Horace Randal
The Army assigned him to duty on the frontier. He conducted recruits to Ft. Washita, Indian Territory (1854-1855). The Army assigned him to Ft. Davis, Texas (1855) where Randal had scouting duties. On March 3, 1855, he received a promotion to second lieutenant in the First Dragoons. He participated in a surprise attack on an Apache Indian camp near Ft. Bliss, Texas on July 22, 1855. Later that year, the Army posted him Ft. Union, New Mexico (1855) and Los Lunas, New Mexico (1855-1857). He fought in a skirmish against Apache Indians near the Almaigre Mountains in April 1856 and in an action with the Apaches near Gila River on November 30, 1856. He served at Ft. Buchanan, New Mexico (1857); on recruiting service (1858); and on frontier duty at Ft. Buchanan, New Mexico (1859-1860). 

Randal resigned from the United States Army on February 27, 1861. He joined the Confederate Army and received a commission as a first lieutenant in the cavalry on March 16, 1861. Initially, he served in General Braxton Bragg's quartermaster corps at Pensacola, Florida. The Army transferred him to the Army of Northern Virginia. On November 16, 1861, the Army appointed him as an aide-de-camp to Major General Gustavus W. Smith. On February 12, 1862, Randal received a commission as a colonel of cavalry. Colonel Randal recruited the Twenty-eighth Texas Cavalry regiment (Dismounted) from men in and around Marshall, Texas. Randal appointed his father, brother, and brother-in-law to serve on his regimental staff. On July 9, 1862, the regiment composed of twelve companies through Marshall and marched to Little Rock, Arkansas. In Little Rock, the regiment joined what was to become the Second Brigade of General John G. Walker's Texas (Greyhound) Division. The Army appointed Colonel Randal brigade commander on September 3, 1862, and he served in Arkansas and Louisiana. He led the brigade at Milliken's Bend during the Vicksburg campaign in June 1863, and in repulsing Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks' Red River campaign in the spring of 1864. General E. Kirby Smith appointed Randal brigadier general on April 8, 1864, but the Confederate government never confirmed his promotion. He was killed at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry, Arkansas on April 30, 1864. 

For more information on Randal, please see Randal, Horace and Twenty-eighth Texas Cavalry

Henry C. McNeill - Cullum Number: 1785 - Class Rank: 26 

McNeill was a cadet at the US Military Academy from July 1, 1853, to July 1, 1857. He graduated 26th in his class and the Army promoted him to brevet second lieutenant, Mounted Riflemen, July 1, 1857. He attended the Cavalry School for Practice at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1857-1858. The Army promoted him to second lieutenant, Mounted Riflemen on October 26 1857. 

The Army assigned him to frontier duty at Ft. Thorn, New Mexico (1858); Ft. Defiance. New Mexico (1859); and Ft. Fillmore, New Mexico (1859) where he engaged in scouting activities in Navajo Country, New Mexico. 

While on an expedition against the Pinal Apaches (1859-1860), McNeill fought in a skirmish near Ft. Buchanan, New Mexico on December 3, 1860. He was at Ft. Fillmore, New Mexico (1860); on scouting duty (1860-1861); and on scouting duty at Ft. Union, New Mexico (1861) and Ft. Stanton, New Mexico (1861). 

The Fifth Texas Cavalry
On May 12, 1861, McNeil resigned his commission and joined the Rebellion of 1861-1866 against the United States. The Confederate Army commissioned him as a first lieutenant. On August 9, 1861, McNeill received a commission as lieutenant colonel in the Fifth Texas Cavalry. He distinguished himself during the New Mexico campaign, at one point capturing the bulk of a Union army regiment. On May 20, 1863, the Confederacy promoted McNeill to colonel. 

The Battle of Mansfield
From January 1863 to September 1864, McNeill served with this unit and acted as commander in several engagements. These actions included the battles of Galveston and Bayou Bourbeau, Louisiana, in 1863 and the battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill in Louisiana in 1864. A valued officer, his superiors repeatedly recommended McNeill for promotion to general. In 1864, McNeill's father turned over control of the family plantation and its forty-six slaves to McNeill and his brother-in-law, T. Scott Anderson. On May 26, 1865, McNeill and his unit surrendered along with the rest of the Trans-Mississippi command by Gen. E. Kirby Smith. 

After the war, McNeill farmed in Eagle Lake, Texas. Henry McNeill died in Columbus, Texas, on November 29, 1876, of congestion of the lungs. His grave is probably in Lakeview Cemetery, Eagle Lake, Colorado County. He married Margaret L. Murray. 

For more information on McNeill, please see McNeill, Henry Cameron,

No comments: